Monday, January 10, 2011


Progesterone in oil injections have never been my friend.  Well, the progesterone is great for my babies, but the actual injection still is and always has been the most brutal of them all.  I've iced before and after.  I've used the heating pad before and after, as well on on the syringe itself to thin the oil.  We massage the injection site to disperse the oil.  Nothing really helps; it's just a miserable experience.  Well, last night topped it all.

For about the past week or so, halfway through my 2 ml dosage, the dang thing would start to burn.  Seriously, burn.  It would last for a bit after Jamie was done, but would soon subside.  I really think I had a bad reaction to last nights' shot.  It was not, however, a new vial of medicine.  Jamie stuck me exactly where he's supposed to.  We did everything the same.  But the burning pain was relentless.  Heat made it worse.  Ice made it worse.  Touching it made it worse.  Not touching it made it worse.  It came in waves.  On a ten point scale I was at a constant 4 or 5, but every few minutes it magnified to about a 9, and I like to think I have a high threshold for pain.  When this happened, I was arching my back and contorting from the pain.  This went on for hours.  I tried laying with my left side up, my left side down (kinda like the hokey pokey), standing, sitting, kneeling on the couch and laying over the back of it.  I had to wake Jamie up; there was nothing he could do, but I was crying hysterically and needed him to be aware.  Normally, if I get welts they are relatively small and roundish and take a day or so to form.  Last nights injection formed a new, massive welt in about 30 minutes, and it was long and thick and stretched out (probably 1 inch by almost 3 inches!)  When we looked at the area in the bathroom mirror, the skin was clearly much paler than the rest of my skin.  I took a shallow, lukewarm bath, which was ok, but the water touching my backside hurt, and when the waves of pain came, there was no relief. 

This went on for about 3 hours until the flashes of pain got shorter in duration and further apart.  I fell asleep for a while, but of course had to pee two hours later.  Standing and moving brought it all back!  I ended up falling back to sleep, but now that I'm up I'm feeling it once again. 

The only things I can think of are that I got a bad batch of oil, despite the 2012 expiration date, or maybe I'm developing a sensitivity to the sesame oil.  I don't know if that's even possible, but after almost 2 solid months on it, and being on it for 4 cycles prior, this was nuts.  I don't really want to call my RE as I don't think they'll have much to say about it.  I guess I'll just see how things go tonight.  Any thoughts as to what happened?

To boot- I think I'm getting sick.  My nose switched from stuffy to leaky, I keep sneezing, and my eyes (especially the right one) are itchy and watery.  Can a cold or sinus thing do anything to my babies?


  1. If you have a similar reaction tonight, definitely call your RE. You might have hit a nerve just right and that would have caused the pain.

    A cold can't do anything to your babies, but I would call and see what you can take.

  2. Last night's shot went perfectly. I think we're going to give my left side a break for a few days to recover. =)