Friday, November 18, 2011

Gabriella and the GI

After Gabriella's mega-serious reflux episodes at Children's and then at home with me on November 1st, we were referred out to a GI at my request.  There was a month wait for him so my pediatrician called and they worked us in sooner.  We had the appointment today and lemme tell ya- it was a complete waste of time in my opinion.  He basically kept asking up how we knew it was reflux/ why we thought it was reflux.  Hmmm... let's see... how about because every medical professional that I've spoken with since she was a month old and screamed, arched, turned red, and had white acid coming out of her nose and mouth told me it was acid reflux.  He said if it were reflux we're doing all of the right preventative stuff already.  He really doesn't think the prilosec or zantac or rice cereal to thicken her food really does much    ::cough,cough,bullshit::  He advised us to drop the zantac to once a day for a few weeks and then stop it altogether.  Ummm, yeah, not gonna happen.  It's not that I think I'm smarter than the GI, per say, I just think I'm a very good judge of character, and he didn't float my boat.  Above all else, I know my baby girl better than anyone.  Unless he wants to come hang out with us on a daily basis and deal with her when she refluxes, he can go pound sand.
I learned really fast that as a parent you need to follow your heart and your head and do what you think is right for you and your family.  And that's what I'll continue to do for today, tomorrow, and always.

No comments:

Post a Comment