Wednesday, February 2, 2011

can't sleep- blizzard and anxiety

So, I was a bit skeptical about the "storm of the century", SNOWtorious 2011, two feet of snow with 40 mph winds, but here I sit when I should be sleeping because of said winds.  I always felt that being a weather man was the most perfect job; I mean seriously, what other profession could you go into every day and completely and utterly screw up, like be 100% wrong all of the time, and not get fired?  I have yet to find one besides weatherman.  Hey, it's not their fault when they're wrong; they don't control the weather; things change!  Anyways, I'm wide awake because of the blizzard- and a few things that are on my mind.

Yesterday (Tuesday) I had my first ob appointment and my sequential screening.  I forgot how long I always have to wait at my ob/gyn.  It's been a few years since I had been there, as when I was beginning fertility treatments there really wasn't any need.  My RE took care of yearly pap smears for me, so it worked out.  Well, it was over an hour past my appointment time before my doctor came in.  I was pretty hot about it, but once it was my turn to be seen, it all melted away.  Let me begin by sharing with you that my RE's office failed to fax over any of my prenatals as I was promised they would last Thursday.  I knew the doctor's dictation would take longer, but was assured everything else would be sent.  They lied and received quite the phone call from me as soon as I left the ob.  I did not see Dr. D like I had been scheduled, but rather Dr. F.  I'm fine with either one, really, they are both just wonderful.  Come to find out that they deliver 100% of their babies.  100%.  They have never missed a birth.  Part of the reason for such tardiness was because Dr.D was called to the hospital for a birth, and instead of cancelling all of us ob patients, Dr. F (who was covering gyn yesterday) tried his best to do the work of two men.  Kudos! 

He took sooo much time with me.  I was probably being cursed by everyone else for putting him even more behind schedule, but whatever.  Here are a few things on my mind:
1.  They will not let me work past 24 weeks.  Basically, after spring break in April, I will not be back.  I had really hoped to finish out the year.  It's not a conversation I really want to have with my principal, so it'll be put off for a while. I don't know how this exactly works with FMLA since I've already used some of the time under the act.
2.  They will not let me carry past 37 weeks, so I'll certainly be having a July baby.  My official due date is August 16, but at a minimum it'll be three weeks early (possibly more).
3.  I'm worried about complications.  My blood pressure has been running high lately.  My family doctor saw me on Monday (and will repeat on Friday) and decided to increase my bp meds again.  I'm worried already about preeclampsia.  I'm hoping that by *naming it* and *addressing it*, I'll be *facing it* so it won't happen.  ::sigh:: 
4.  Piggy backing on #3, I had my sequential screening.  I want to know those results already and know that my babies are ok.  Regardless of the findings, these are my two babies, there are no options to consider.  I would not follow up with amniocentesis as my ob explained to me that the risk of miscarriage is 1 in 200, and they'd have to amnio both babies.  I would not put them at that risk. 

My sequential was a bit disappointing, probably because I've had so many transvag ultrasounds with relatively clear, detailed pictures.  This was my first external u/s and the image quality was not what I expected.  If I were a normal patient, I'm sure I'd be thrilled, but let's face it, I'm special needs over here, far from normal.  We did hear both heartbeats, so that was wonderful!!!  We saw both SnuggleBugs, so again- awesome!!  Baby B was the star of the show and did a heck of a job blocking Baby A.  We're going to have a talk about sharing! 

I will be seen by my ob every three weeks for now and every four weeks with the perinatologist.  So, until then, I'm on my own.  Maybe I'm becoming more of a normal patient than I wanted to admit...

I realize this is quite the doozy of a post!  Perhaps I can get some shut eye for a while.  Since it's all written down I no longer need to worry or dwell on it.  I can pick it all back up in the morning, if I so choose.  Or even better, maybe I can let a lot of it go.

1 comment:

  1. Oh man, does everyone go on bedrest at 24 weeks?
    I'm sorry it wasn't a smooth visit but I'm glad both babies are doing well!